Salsa Canning Tips: How Mama Flasch’s Cans and Uses Their Jars
Making salsa is in our blood, and so is canning. We grew up canning fruits and vegetables, learning how to seal in freshness and flavor with each jar. Because our salsa is crafted in small batches made from fresh, local produce we can our salsa as soon as it’s ready to give you great tasting gourmet flavor. Because freshness and quality are so important to us, we wanted to share some salsa canning tips and tell you how Mama Flasch’s cans and uses their jars.
How to Seal in Fresh Tasting Amazing Flavor
Using fresh ingredients is key to making a great tasting salsa, but if you want to enjoy homemade salsa all year long, it’s important to know the right steps for sealing in freshness and flavor. Knowing the right steps for canning and preserving your salsa without chemicals and preservatives is a key part of making salsa, that’s one of the reasons canning is so important to us. Whether you’re looking to try it yourself or looking to learn more about what goes into making Mama Flasch’s great tasting salsas, here’s a few need to know tips about canning.
- Start with Fresh Produce– Great tasting salsa starts with quality ingredients, that’s why Mama Flasch’s only uses locally sourced produce. By using only the freshest tomatoes, peppers, and onions you’ll be able to seal in that freshness and flavor.
- Sterilize Your Jars– Before you can put homemade salsa into glass jars, you have to make sure they’re clean. Sanitize your jars by carefully placing them in a pot of boiling water for 5-10 minutes. This helps avoid bacteria and keeps the salsa tasting fresh.
- Combine Your Ingredients and Simmer Over Low Heat– We take pride in making our salsas in small batches, which means every jar of salsa is slow simmered and carefully crafted for a perfect balance of flavor.
- Carefully Ladle Salsa into Jars and Seal in a Water Bath– Once the flavors have blended together and the salsa is done simmering, carefully ladle the salsa into jars, making sure to leave at least a ¼” of space between the salsa and the top of the rim. Once you’ve filled your jars, screw the lids on and place them in a pot of boiling water for 10-20 minutes. After carefully removing the jars, let them cool on a rack for 24 hours.
- Enjoy Delicious Great Tasting Salsa– Whether it’s homemade salsa or one of our three delicious, flavor-packed salsas, you’re ready to enjoy great tasting salsa all year long.
Mama Flasch’s Salsa: Small Batches Mean Big Taste
If you’re looking for gourmet salsa with a homemade taste but haven’t quite mastered the art of canning, pick up a jar of Mama Flasch’s Salsa. You can find Mama Flasch’s Salsa in Ohio at Jungle Jim’s, Mackie Meats, The Meat Store; and in Kentucky at the Party Source. You can also buy our salsas on our website, which are available individually or in combo packs featuring all three of our delicious salsas. For great recipes and dinner ideas don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.